Background and Objectives
Baluchistan Province in South-Western Pakistan was hit by an earthquake of the magnitude of 6.4 on 29 October 2008. The affected area extends from Ziarat district, some 110 kilometres northwest of Quetta, to Pishin and Harnai districts. According to Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) the total population affected by the EQ is 68,200 people with the worst hit areas being Ziarat district 51%, Harnai district 10% and Pishin district 40% affected. An estimated total of 7,612 houses have been affected (3,487 destroyed and 4,125 damaged). UN-HABITAT’s close working relationship with ERRA since 2005 and NDMA since 2006, will ensure this intervention will shape the larger response in the shelter sector.
The main objective of the project will, in coordination with the NDMA, ERRA and Local Government authorities, provide shelter assistance to vulnerable families in Balochistan Province, following the below schedule;
- In full Baluchistan District for 800 vulnerable families, within a maximum period of three months.
- In Ziarat district for 365 vulnerable families within a maximum period of one month.
Additionally, assist two partner organizations, IFRC and Muslim Hand to assist 1,000 and 300 families respectively to construct basic transitional shelter.
The main activities include:
- Provision of community led emergency shelter.
- Procurement and distribution of shelter materials
- Ensure minimum standards of he shelter materials
- •Construct shelter in the communities to train NGO partners and beneficiaries from communities.
- Shelter construction by those affected, facilitated by UN-HABITAT and NGOs.
- Progress Monitoring and daily reporting on project progress.
- Shelter Cluster Coordination undertaken by UN-HABITAT from 27 January until 30 April 2009
- After taking over the cluster coordination, UN-HABITAT conducted shelter distribution Gap analysis and monitored the provision of remaining shelters in earthquake affected districts.
- 1461 transitional shelters built by those affected by the earthquake in Ziarat and Pishin districts.
- 300 latrines in Ziarat District.
- 35 shelters for health unit in Harnay, Ziarat and Pishin.
- 1 video on shelter assistance produced and distributed.
- 1 model house on improved mud construction techniques realised to produce posters for NDMA.
- Assistance provided to Muslim Hand to facilitate the construction of 300 shelters.
Development Partners / Partners
Development partner: DFID, UNICEF
Partners: National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Humanitarian Clusters, IFRC