WJR funded – Consolidation for Settlement Capacity Building and Livelihoods Development (Ampara, Batticoloa, Galle, Jaffna, Trincomalee)
World Jewish Relief (WJR, UK-based NGO); US$96,965
The project works for “consolidation” of the needy settlements among those assisted by UN-Habitat for tsunami and conflict recovery. The consolidation intends to “assist communities to build their capacity for a self sustainable future for themselves”.
Under this concept, the project aims to assist 34 settlements to be self-sustainable through:
- Providing livelihood and other support, and
- Building capacity of communities
- Conducted 106 activities related to livelihood training and assistance which benefitted 1,133 people.
- Established community revolving funds in 12 communities which initially disbursed loans to 285 people.
- Conducted 29 activities related to environment and health promotion, which benefitted 2,213 people.
- Conducted 55 workshops on community capacity building, which were atteded by 2,346 people.
- Assisted in building partnership among communities and local authorities/ NGOs.
Community Capacity Building Guidelines:
Six (6) guidelines on community capacity building were developed under the project. The first draft was prepared and tested by Ms. Swarna Ekanayake, a project staff member. The guidelines are shared below as a reference for future projects, and for further improvement. Shinhalese and Tamil versions are also available.
Guidelines 01: Guidelines on the Formation of a Project Proposal
Guidelines 02: Guidelines on Strengthening of a Community Development Council
Guidelines 03: Guidelines for the Establishment of a Revolving Fund by a Community Development Council
Guidelines 04: Guidelines on Maintenance of Books and Documents of a Community Development Council
Guidelines 05: Guidelines on Maintenance of Common Facilities
Guidelines 06: Guidelines on Community Evaluation for Settlements Management